Tuesday, January 17, 2012

DIRL

Phrases you might have heard in our home a week ago (from Karis, then repeated by us - because, you see, our tot loves for us to repeat what she says so she knows we understand her):

"Let's go to Colorado"
"Bring backpack to Colorado"
"Pack noise machine, Colorado"
"Pacifier, pack Colorado"
"Airplane, bring us, Colorado!"

Any guesses on where we went last weekend?

Let me tell you, this 60 hour trip is one we've been anticipating for a few months: tickets, check. Snow boots, check. Snow pants, check. Toddler sunglasses, check. I admit, that was Trev's checklist and his careful preparations were such a gift to our family. My packing list was the standard: pajamas, socks, distractions for the plane ride, camera, diapers. Karis's list was easy: her Mini Mouse backpack that included goldfish and a little person (you know, the "little people" toys? She knows the singular and plural in their appropriate uses, cracks me up).

Honestly, we had a blast anticipating the trip as a family - I probably shouldn't be surprised, but Karis really understood it all, and when we woke up Friday morning she knew we were going on the airplane that day. Let me tell you, this was one epic journey to the final destination: drop off bags, Karis, and Andrea at shuttle station. Trevor parks car and walks to shuttle station. Shlep all our bags onto the shuttle. "Ride bus to airport!". Shlep bags again. Check in, check bags. Spend 30 minutes in the security line. Get through. Arrive at gate just as they begin boarding. Fun plane ride. "We're in Colorado!". Claim bags. Another shuttle to rental car. Load rental car. Meet Drew & Mike, transfer luggage and groceries. Drop off Mike's car. Sit in traffic. Get in line at Wendy's alongside an ex-con with ankle bracelet who spent $41.00 on a fast food meal. Pick up snowshoes. Drive up the mountain. Arrive at the final destination, a house on the mountainside! Phew. We enjoyed the journey, but wow it was epic. There were admittedly about 20 minutes (the ones when Karis was screaming in the car) that I thought "What were we thinking?!". Not bad for such a day!

Trevor has been to this house-in-the-woods (owned by his distant cousin) a couple times and has been talking since last year about wanting to bring Karis and me there. He described the cabin as "nice, but rustic". Um, this nice and rustic cabin FAR exceeded my expectations. Try, "Country Living Magazine" rustic. Gorgeous, spacious, cozy, leather couches, soft lighting, relaxing woodsy decor, comfortable beds, beautiful bathrooms, rock fireplace. I mean, down to the cuisinart coffee maker, this place was a dream. Karis must have agreed, she settled right down for a full night of rest. Trevor and I followed later, I will always remember the bedroom's huge picture window with no blinds, the moon and the snow and the trees and the mountain our backdrop for sleep. Be still my soul!

Before we retired for the evening, we welcomed the rest of the weekend gang: Trev's bro and his fabulous fiance, and two other marvelous mutual friends arrived shortly after us and we all sighed contentedly and settled in for this weekend we'd all been waiting for.

For me, not only the place but every aspect of our time in CO exceeded my expectations. Here is the best way I can describe the two days: DIRL. 

DIRL: Dan in Real Life.

In case you didn't know or have forgotten, I have this favorite movie obsession with Dan in Real Life (please, if you haven't seen it, watch it. Now.).

So yes, it was a real life DIRL weekend, and to me that is bliss defined. Togetherness in everything from activities to rest to meals to clean-up. The picturesque backdrop, wonderful weather, and snazzy house. Genuine enjoyment of the people, the place, creation. Zero traces of technology, disconnection, semi-isolation. Health, humor, honesty. Looking out for each other but giving each other space. Deepening relationships, random conversations, asking questions, opening hearts, sharing meals. Times of chatter and others of silence. A soundtrack playing in the background that included Ray Lamontagne and Alexi Murdoch. At least two generations (at one point, 3), games of "sardines" while dinner was cooking, people in different stages in their relationships in a safe place to all be themselves - family, loved, accepted, encouraged, appreciated. DIRL.

Oh, and did I mention the crew of weekend planners decided to give me a break . . . I didn't plan a single meal, make a grocery list or do any shopping. THAT is like a movie, nourishing feasts just appeared out of nowhere. Delicious ones. Thank you, everyone.

Other highlights included watching Karis latch on to her new Aunt Cassie, snowshoeing up the side of a mountain (and watching Karis enjoy being carried on Uncle J's back - pictures to follow soon). Rare forms of rhubarb alongside a man-meal of 3 kinds of meat and about a gallon of baked beans and lionized potatoes; crackling fires, hot showers and sweatpants. The sound of the wind and nothing else. The half moon lighting the house when the day was done. These verses come to my mind as I picture the weekend in my memory:

Psalm 121:1-2
I lift up my eyes to the mountains—
   where does my help come from?
My help comes from the LORD,
   the Maker of heaven and earth. 


I better give Karis a chance to tell her side of the story, partly in pictures: 

I loved sleeping in the same room as mommy and daddy, I don't remember that ever happening before! I got to get up before everyone else and loved having the house to myself. I ran in circles singing "Hot Cross Buns" in the quietest voice I could manage. Mommy drank a lot of coffee.




I loved the mountains! Daddy did such a good job of preparing the perfect gear for me to be comfortable on the ride up the mountain. I had the best spot and didn't have to move a muscle (thanks, Uncle Jordan and Daddy). Someday I might like to try those snowshoe things and give the hike a go. Everyone seemed pretty tired and the hill was very steep, so maybe I can get away with being in the backpack for a couple more years.


Uncle Drew took a turn carrying me also, so glad these guys were in shape so I could be part of the adventure.

Can you guess what's in my mouth? I'm so excited to be with my "new aunt", my favorite place this weekend was wherever she was

Other thoughts from Karis: I loved being around so many people all weekend, I found some great cozy cupboards to crawl into, beds to jump on, stairs to climb. I colored and chatted and ate breakfast on daddy's lap. I wore my sunglasses like a champ and put my hands under daddy's hood to keep them warm. I walked around in my snowpants and boots up on the mountain . . . when it got to be time for my nap, mom and dad took me back early and I got to chew gum all the way down the hill. Actually, I found that if I fussed a lot at certain times, I could get a piece or two of that delicious minty stuff. I ate a lot of goldfish crackers and cookies and strawberries. I loved the journey - riding the bus and the airplane were so much fun and I think I was very well-behaved (mommy said I was, too). I said "Hi people!" to anyone who would look my way, and I loved seeing all the pretty nails that women had on the flights. I looked out the window and pointed out lakes, blue sky, and lights. I was very relieved to get back to my own bed and have been sleeping a lot this week . . . I'm still wearing my pink backpack, hoping we can go back to Colorado soon.

And now, we're home (after, of course, the same kind of epic and many-stages-journey to get here. However, the return trip instead of "we're crazy" my thoughts were "all these steps are part of the memory-making and so completely worth every bit"). Karis quickly caught on to the shift in location and exclaimed, "We're in Minnesota! Minneapolis!" 

No comments:

Post a Comment